3 September 2021
By Bryan Smyth
Since COVID we have all taken steps towards a cashless society. Regardless of what you think about this, the reality is if you are running a business you must now move with the times. Even my Dentist – who is very old-school – now accepts cards!
Getting a card terminal from a bank has been a hassle, typically there is a monthly rental fee and your need a business account, so sole traders with small turnovers have avoided these. However, SumUp is a German company, licenced the Irish Central Bank. It sells two card terminals with no standing charges. Just pay 2.75% per transaction.
Option A: The SumUp card reader (a Bluetooth device that connects to your smartphone)
Option B: The SumUp 3G card reader (with inbuilt data SIM)
- No contract
- No standing fee (so if you don’t use it there is no charge)
- High-quality card reader (well crafted in white plastic. it looks like an Apple product!)
- No extra charges for overseas cards
- Great for occasional use and everyday use in your business
- Chip & Pin, NFC
- Accepts Visa, MasterCard, and…. American Express and Diner’s Club
- Accept payments remotely with a website terminal interface, or (new feature) send a HTTPS link to your customer via SMS or email where they enter their own details. This is great for accepting deposits. It also pushes the admin onto the customer, so you can minimise the duration of your sales calls.
- Online only: so if you have no internet connection in a rural area you cannot accept a payment, however you can connect to a wifi hotspot if there happens to be one nearby and you know the code
- 2.75% transaction charge
- Sometimes the divide drops a connection. It will reconnect, but you may need some smalltalk to pass time with your customer!