18 January 2016
By Bryan T. Smyth
Bus Éireann’s new €50 million ‘fleet of the future’ was officially launched on Friday, January 15th at King’s Inns, Dublin 7, by Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport, Mr. Paschal Donohoe.
Funding for 116 new vehicles was provided by the Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport via the National Transport Authority (NTA).
What are the models?
Four of these new models were on show, which included 82 seater double deck commuter coaches, and 78 seater double deck buses.
The state-of-the-art vehicles feature extra legroom, power sockets [on commuter coaches], free WiFi, monitors with Real Time Passenger Information, are wheelchair accessible and have lower fuel emissions.
What is Cork getting?
Some will soon enter service in Cork, Limerick and Galway while others recently went into operation on commuter services in the Great Dublin Area (GDA).
Increased passenger journeys
Passenger trips made on all Bus Éireann city and stage carriage services – along with commercial and other services – was 37.8 million in 2015, up 700,0000 on 2014 figures.
Over 500,000 extra journeys were made on subsidised PSO (Public Service Obligation) services last year, while over 200, 000 extra trips were made on commercial and other services – reflecting the company’s commitment to supporting the recovering economy.
Passenger journeys in Cork city grew by over eight per cent, while commuter journeys to Dublin – on services in the East – were also up from 6.7 million, to 6.8 million.
The specifications of the new busses
– The four new models include Single and Double Deck Commuter Coaches, and Single and Double Deck buses
– All have the latest Euro VI emissions certification which means they have the lowest emissions diesel engines possible
– The coaches are fitted with seatbelts and ISOFIX attachments for child safety seats
– Coaches feature lane departure warning systems for drivers
– Double deck commuter coaches also feature passenger tables in lower saloon
– On board monitor screens display passenger information including estimated time of arrival at next stop.