27 November 2015
By Bryan T. Smyth
Barnardos launched its annual Christmas Toy Appeal, supported by GLS ParcelShops, today. The children’s charity is asking shoppers in Cork to add the Barnardos Christmas Toy Appeal to their shopping lists this festive season and help make a child’s Christmas.
Every Christmas Barnardos needs gifts for children of all ages, from babies through to teenagers. The charity asks that all gifts are new and unwrapped and has a handy gift guide available on its website, www.barnardos.ie, to help shoppers choose age-appropriate toys and gifts.
For the sixth year, GLS ParcelShops are supporting the Barnardos Toy Appeal. Drop your gift off at any of their 160 GLS ParcelShops nationwide by Wednesday 16 December and it will be delivered to Barnardos in time for Christmas. To find your local GLS ParcelShops visit http://www.barnardos.ie/toyappeal.
The GLS ParcelShops in Cork are located in:
- Munster Fire & Safety, Church Street, Millstreet
- Twomey Hardware, West Square, Macroom
- Kelleher Trades Ltd., 55 North Main Street, Cork City
- Hourigan Motorcycles West End, Newstreet, Newmarket
- Munster House, Patrick Street, Fermoy
- Stars Salon, 62 Gratten Street, Cork City
- Favourite Newsagents, 12 Lower Cork Street, Mitchelstown
- Leap Service Station, Droum, Leap
- Hegarty’s Centra, Main Street, Schull
- Horgans, The Square Blarney
- Westlink Service Station, Pouladuff Road, Cork City
- Hickeys Foodstore, Main Street, Kilbrittain
- MCC News, Tallow Street, Youghal
- CH Marine, Nautic House, Skibbereen
- Matsons Wine Store, Old Market Street, Bandon
- Meades newsagents, 43 Pearse Street, Clonakilty
- Mace, Main Street, Bantry
- Nu Shuz, Unit 3 Ballincollig Shopping Centre, Ballincollig
- Days of Whitegate, Whitegate, Midleton
- @net Internet Call Centre, 103 Gerald Griffin Street, Cork
- com, 8 Winthrop Steet, Cork
- Ballyroe Co-Op, Ballinspittle, Kinsale
- Kellys Carpets, Unit 5 Kilnap Bus Park, Blackpool
Speaking at the launch, Barnardos CEO Fergus Finlay said, “For most of us, Christmas brings up happy memories. But for many of the children we work with in Barnardos, it’s the opposite. Thousands of children and families are facing hardships every day across the country – and we see first-hand the extra burden that they come under at Christmas time.
“We are truly grateful that, for the sixth year running, GLS ParcelShops will make sure that every child we work with receives a Christmas gift. Thanks to GLS ParcelShops and all those who so generously give gifts to the Toy Appeal each year, we can make sure that the children and families we work with experience the magic of Christmas.”
Tomasz Kroll, Region Manager, GLS Ireland, said: “We are thrilled to support the Barnardos Christmas Toy Appeal for the sixth year running. It is a really important cause for all the team in GLS – every member of our staff is dedicated to making sure that the toys are delivered in time for Christmas. We are delighted to bring a little magic to the children and families Barnardos works with this Christmas.”
Barnardos provides specialised early intervention and prevention services to over 11,300 children and families in 40 communities across Ireland. In Cork, Barnardos provides a number of services that support local children to achieve their potential in life.