15 December 2017
By Elaine Murphy
The white building on 46 Grand Parade has a long history. It was formerly home to the Cork City Club and dates back to the early 1800s, and was extensively renovated in 1860. It was a Gentleman’s club in the old – elegant – meaning of the term.
In 1952, Cork City Club and Cork County Club were amalgamated and decided to use the premises of the County Club on the South Mall. The City Club premises were put up for auction and bought by the Legion of Mary, a lay Catholic organisation. The building was renamed Dún Mhuire and became the headquarters of the Legion in the Diocese of Cork. In later years the Legion of Mary vacated the building, after which ICC Bank occupied the premises until 2001. A branch of the Bank of Scotland (Ireland) occupied the premises from 2001 until 2010. Certus, a bank services outsourcing group, occupied the premises from 2010 until December 2013.