5 May 2015, Tuesday
By Bryan T. Smyth
It’s been 100 years since the Lusitania sank off the Old Head of Kinsale, Co Cork, Ireland
President to visit Cobh
President of Ireland Michael D Higgins will lead a commemoration event in Cobh, Co Cork on Thursday, 7th May to mark the centenary. The event, which will also be attended by a number of other VIPs including the UK, German and US ambassadors to Ireland is expected to see a large turn-out and the public are advised that traffic and parking restrictions will be in place throughout the day.
Road closures will be in effect in Casement Square and on part of Westbourne Place from 11.30am until 10.30pm.
Port of Cork involved
Capt. Michael McCarthy, Commercial Manager of the Port of Cork, who is lead organiser of the event said “We expect that up to 10,000 people from across Ireland and beyond, many of whom have personal connections to the Lusitania disaster, will descend on the town of Cobh to remember all those who lost their lives on the 7th May 1915. For anyone intending on travelling to the event, I would urge them to take the train as it is the easiest and most direct way to get to the heart of Cobh town where events will be taking place.”
Irish Rail helping with transport
Irish Rail will be running additional services throughout the day on the Cork – Cobh line giving a service every 30 minutes from 06.30hrs until 19.30hrs. Cobh can also be accessed from stations at Midleton, Carrigtwohill, Little Island and Glounthaune, where free parking is available. For train timetables and for further information, please see www.irishrail.ie
Superintendent John Quilter said “Additional Gardaí will be in place for the day and will be aided by event stewards to ensure that everyone who attends has an enjoyable and safe experience. I would encourage all those travelling to Cobh to plan their travel in advance and to check for updates in relation to parking and traffic restrictions.”
- No parking at Westbourne Place and Casement Square.
- One way system going into Cobh along the High Road.
- One way system going out of Cobh along the Lower Road.
- Disabled parking is outside the Sirius Arts Centre on Lower Rd. – display badge and follow signage.
- Obey Directions of Gardaí and stewards at all times.
- Secure vehicles and don’t leave valuables in them.
- Where applicable, display parking badges clearly en route to the event.
- Parking will be available at the Verolme Cork Dockyard adjacent to Rushbroke rail station.
- Additional parking will be available at Cobh Pirates Rugby Club and the Cathedral car park.
- The Cross-River Ferry will run two vessels throughout the day for those travelling from the west side of the harbour.