12 October 2015
By David O’Sullivan
Products from 14 Cork based SuperValu producers are among a total of 71 products supplied to SuperValu which have swept the board at this year’s Blas na hEireann National Irish Food Awards. SuperValu suppliers have a strong track record at Blas na hÉireann and this year the quality Irish produce from a host of Food Academy producers, coupled with another strong performance from SuperValu’s own brand range of products, added to that success. SuperValu won more Blas na hEireann awards than any other retailer, for the third year in a row.
The Cork SuperValu own brand producers recognised at Blas na hEireann were:
· Follain, Ballyvourney – SuperValu Signature Tastes Raspberry Conserve (Gold)
· Good Fish Company, Carrigaline – SuperValu Hake with Ginger Chilli and Lime Marinade (Silver); SuperValu Trout with Garlic & Honey Marinade (Bronze)
· Kepak, Watergrasshill – SuperValu Signature Tastes Pulled Pork Barbeque Apple & Hick (Silver); SuperValu Barbeque Ribs; SuperValu Signature Tastes Irish Barbeque Beef Ribs (Bronze)
· Bandon Vale Cheese, Bandon – SuperValu Signature Tastes Vintage White Cheese (Bronze)
· Irish Country Cuisine, Ballincollig – Berliner Custard Donut (Bronze)
The Cork Food Academy producers recognised at Blas na hEireann were:
· Skeaghanore Duck, Ballydehob – 2 Confit Duck Leg (Gold); Hot Smoked Duck Breast (Silver)
· On the Pigs Back, Douglas – Spiced Pork Terrine (Gold)
· Bainne Codladh, Kanturk – Lullaby Milk (Gold)
· Cottonball Brewing Company, Cork City – Kerry Lane Pale Ale (Gold)
· Bluebell Falls Cheese, Charleville – Bluebell Falls Goats Cheese (Silver)
· Caherbeg Free Range Pork Breakfast White Pudding, Roscarberry – Rosscarberry Recipes White Pudding (Bronze)
· Beara Seafood Mussel Bites, Beara (Bronze)
· Trace of Cakes, Ballincollig – Biscuit Cake Pieces (Bronze)
· West Cork Pies, Schull – Chicken Liver & Port Pate (Bronze)
Ballyvourney based producer, DeRoiste Puddings also claimed the title of Best in County Award for Cork South at this year’s Blas na hEireann awards. The record number of awards for SuperValu producers recognises the unrivalled quality Irish produce being produced locally and supplied to SuperValu. The SuperValu Own Brand range won a total of 25 awards, while Food Academy producers were crowned with 46 awards in total, highlighting the success of Food Academy – a unique training programme run by SuperValu, Bord Bia and Local Enterprise Offices, which supports and nurtures start-up food businesses. Over 200 Food Academy producers are now selling their products in SuperValu stores across Ireland.
Martin Kelleher, Managing Director, SuperValu said, “It is fantastic to see a record number of SuperValu Own Brand and Food Academy producers honoured with awards this year, recognising the unrivalled quality Irish produce being produced locally and supplied to SuperValu’s stores around Ireland. At SuperValu we are committed to supporting local, sourcing from over 2,200 Irish producers, and these awards also act as a further endorsement of our position as the number one supporter of the Irish agri-food industry – bringing customers quality, Irish food they can really trust.”
Blas na hEireann, The Irish Food Awards, is the biggest competition for quality Irish produce on the island of Ireland. Over 2500 products were entered into this year’s competition to win Gold, Silver and Bronze Awards in over 90 food and drink categories.
SuperValu serves over 2.6 million customers every week and now has 223 stores nationwide. 75% of everything on SuperValu’s shelves is sourced or produced in Ireland. SuperValu continues to source locally wherever possible and purchases almost €2 billion worth of goods from Irish suppliers, which helps sustain 30,000 jobs in the Irish economy.Follow TheCork.ie (The Online Newspaper for Cork, Ireland) on social media