Cork Flood victims can apply for Social Welfare Humanitarian Assistance scheme

8 December 2015
By Bryan Smyth

Department of Social Protection logo.
Department of Social Protection logo.

If you have been flooded you may be able to get financial help from the Department of Social Protection’s Humanitarian Assistance Scheme. The means-tested scheme provides emergency financial assistance to households who are not able to meet costs for essential needs immediately following flooding. The scheme aims to provide financial support to people who have suffered damage to their home. It is designed to alleviate hardship rather than provide full compensation for damage.

The Tánaiste said last evening

“The Humanitarian Assistance scheme was approved by Government in response to previous flooding events with a maximum fund of up to €10 million. The scheme, which is means tested, is available to assist people whose homes are damaged by flooding and who are not in a position to meet costs for essential needs, household items and in some instances structural repair as a result of the flooding damage.”

Departmental Officials can provide individuals with emergency payments to offset their immediate needs such as the purchase of food, clothing, fuel and household goods. People seeking assistance under the Humanitarian Assistance Scheme should contact their local Department of Social Protection office or Intreo Centre.

The Humanitarian Assistance scheme does not cover commercial and business losses, losses covered by an insurance policy or any loss or damage to private rented accommodation or local authority accommodation.

Further information and applications forms in relation to the Humanitarian Assistance Scheme are available Department of Social Protection offices in the affected areas and from the Department’s website:

For a list of the Department local offices please visit

You must be logged in to post a comment Login