29 June 2016
By Bryan T. Smyth
Fáilte Ireland recently launched the Grants Scheme for Large Tourism Projects which will provide a pool of €65m in investment to develop new, or boost existing, tourism experiences and attractions across Ireland. The scheme, which will run from 2016-2020, is now open for applications from the public, private and voluntary sectors including community groups and support for commercial projects. Under the scheme, capital grants in excess of €200k and up to a maximum of €5m will be available.
Information sessions are being held in Cork on Monday 18th July in the Cork International Hotel from 11 – 1pm and throughout the country (see list below with full details on venue/times) to inform potential applicants about the application process including the guidelines, state aid rules and timelines as well as the background and context behind the scheme.
- KILKENNY – Friday 8th July, Newpark Hotel from 10am to midday
- KILLARNEY – Monday 11th July, Malton Hotel from 10am to midday
- DONEGAL – Thursday 14th July, Harvey’s Point Hotel from 10am to midday
- ATHLONE – Thursday 14th July, Radisson Hotel from 10am to midday
- CARRICKMACROSS – Thursday 14th July, Nuremore Hotel from 3pm to 5pm
- GALWAY – Friday 15th July, Salthill Hotel from 10am to midday
- CORK – Monday 18th July, Cork International Hotel from 11am to 1pm
- DUBLIN CITY – Monday 18th July, Radisson Blu Golden Lane from 2pm to 4pm
Speaking about the new scheme, Paddy Mathews from Fáilte Ireland said –
“This scheme is central to the future development of the tourism sector. If we are to compete internationally as a compelling destination, we need to think big. Therefore, we wish to fund a number of big projects around the country which have the scale, the strength and the appeal to attract many more overseas visitors to our shores. We are also anxious to fund attractions and projects across all our destination brands and, ideally, we will have a good level of applications from all parts of the country.”