22 November 2019
By Bryan Smyth
Cork City Council is delighted to confirm Cork City will host European Maritime Day (EMD) on May 14 and 15 next year. This is the first time that Ireland has been selected by the Council of the European Union to hold this flagship two-day conference which has become one of the key events in the European maritime calendar.
The European Maritime Day (EMD) Conference and Expo is an annual two-day event during which Europe’s maritime community meets to network, discuss and forge joint action on maritime affairs and sustainable blue economy.
A key component of EMD2020 will be 20 stakeholders’ workshops. Four workshop slots will be in operation with five workshops running in parallel.
EMD 2020 is an initiative organised by the European Commission, Cork city and Our Ocean Wealth Summit. The conference will take place on 14 and 15 May 2020 in Cork City Hall and surrounding venues (to be announced) incorporating (for 2020 Only) the annual ‘Our Ocean Wealth Summit’. SeaFest, Ireland’s flagship annual family friendly marine festival will run back to back with the European Maritime Day commencing immediately after the completion of EMD Conference. SeaFest which celebrates all aspects of the marine is one of Ireland’s and most successful largest free family-friendly festivals with attendances reaching up to 100,000 in recent years. This will be followed by the annual Cork Harbour Festival which will run from 15-24 May 2020, offering a week-long celebration of Ireland’s rich maritime heritage.
Facts & Figures
- SeaFest is a key component of ‘Harnessing Our Ocean Wealth: An Integrated Plan for Ireland’ which has as one of its goals increasing participation and engagement with the sea. #EMDCork2020
- European Maritime Day (EMD) is the annual EU meeting point on maritime affairs and sustainable blue growth, and the place where ‘Ocean Leaders Meet’ as the slogan goes
- In 2020 the city of Cork will open its gates and its safe harbour to European Maritime Day and Europe’s maritime stakeholders.
- European Maritime Day is a great opportunity to touch base with strategic partners, to make new contacts and network, get visibility for your projects, ideas, activities and achievements, gain new insights into the evolving EU policy and funding landscapes and provide input into European maritime policy formation.
- The annual Our Ocean Wealth (OOW) Summit is being incorporated (for 2020) with the European Maritime Day Conference. The summit will return as a separate annual event (in Cork) for 2021.
- Cork Harbour Festival is a week-long celebration of Ireland’s unique maritime heritage, set in the second largest natural harbour in the world. It will take place from 15 – 24 May 2020
To find out more, visit
- European Maritime Day: https://ec.europa.eu/
- SeaFest: https://www.seafest.ie/en/
- Cork 300: https://www.cork300.com/