6 June 2017
By Bryan Smyth
Sustainability Report 2016 – “Brewing a Better World”
Heineken Ireland – which has its head office at Lady’s Well Brewery, Cork City – today published its 2016 Sustainability Report. It provides an update on the progress made in meeting the firm’s ambitious sustainability targets as part of its ‘Brewing a Better World’ strategy.
Heineken global sustainability efforts are focused on six core areas where they and their stakeholders believe the biggest impact can be made; protecting water resources, reducing CO2 emissions, sourcing sustainably, advocating responsible consumption, promoting health and safety and growing with our communities.
The report summarises Heineken Ireland’s achievements so far as:
- 100% of its malted barley sourced from Irish farmers, supporting local jobs
- 100% of Heineken Ireland’s draught beers brewed in the Lady’s Well Brewery use Irish malted barley
- €100m spent in the local economy, supporting local suppliers
- Reducing water consumption by 8% since 2008 making Heineken Ireland one of the most water-efficient breweries within Heineken globally
- CO2 emissions have decreased by 52% since 2008 and Heineken Ireland is now sourcing 100% of electricity from renewable resources
- The first market in Europe to launch Heineken® Light with lower ABV and lower calories.
- The successful continuation of a strategic partnership with Cork Simon, and their Addiction Aftercare Programme
- In 2016, employees were encouraged to become actively involved in their communities through a volunteering programme which resulted in donations of almost €10,000 and 1,600 volunteer hours.
Heineken Ireland is on a 10-year sustainability journey through its ‘Brewing a Better World’ programme. Launched in 2010, this programme sets clear 2020 sustainability commitments for the Irish business to achieve.
Launching the 2016 ‘Brewing a Better World’ report, Maggie Timoney, Managing Director of Heineken Ireland, said:
“We are 100% committed to sustainability. We look at sustainability from barley to bar and our journey is a true team effort with all of our stakeholders. We can only achieve our ambition through the ongoing efforts of our colleagues and stakeholders and we are very grateful for the great work undertaken to date. Over the past year, we are delighted with our sustainability performance and have exceeded many targets and sourcing local is key to this.”