9 January 2023
By Mary Bermingham
Public Private Partnership (PPP) model for social housing delivery has already provided 1,000 new homes with approximately 2,700 in the pipeline
The Minister for Housing, Local Government and Heritage, Darragh O’Brien TD, today welcomed the launch of a further bundle of projects under the social housing Public Private Partnership (PPP) Programme, Bundle 6.
This new bundle is expected to deliver 200 new social homes across four sites in Cork. 50 homes are planned at each of the following developments: Broomfield Upper, Midleton; Stag Park, Mitchelstown; Station Road, Carrigtwohill; and The Slip, Bantry.
Today’s launch builds on the successful social housing PPP programme being delivered by the National Development Finance Agency (NDFA), in conjunction with the Department of Housing, Local Government and Heritage and relevant local authorities.
Minister O’Brien said:
“This Government, through Housing for All, is committed to increasing the supply of social housing to an average of 10,000 social homes per annum between 2022 and 2030. There is a specific objective in Housing for All to increase the use of PPPs to deliver social housing, and some 200 households across Cork will benefit from the latest social housing PPP bundle announced today.”
Work is ongoing to progress further phases under the programme and a call for suitable sites for future bundles of projects issued to all local authorities last November.
Minister O’Brien added: “Cork County Council will act as the lead local authority for Bundle 6, and I want to commend them on their work to date. I had the pleasure of seeing first-hand some completed housing developments in County Cork last year which were progressed under Bundle 2 of the programme. The success of this initiative is evident from the high quality houses delivered under the programme so far, providing new homes for individuals and families.”
Significant progress has been made to date under the programme including:
- Bundle 1 – 534 homes were delivered across six sites in Dublin, Kildare, Louth and Wicklow in 2020 and 2021.
- Bundle 2 – 465 homes were delivered across eight sites in Cork, Clare, Galway, Kildare, Roscommon and Waterford in 2021.
- Bundle 3 – 486 new homes will be delivered across six sites in Dublin, Kildare, Sligo and Wicklow with planning completed on all sites. The tender process for this project has recently commenced.
- Bundles 4 and 5 – circa 1,600 new homes will be delivered across 18 sites in Dublin, Kildare, Louth and Wicklow and design development is due to commence shortly.
- Bundle 6, being announced today, is expected to deliver almost 600 new social homes across nine sites in Cork, Kildare, Monaghan, Sligo and Wicklow.