12 June 2021
By Elaine Murphy
A worldwide search for ambitious, innovative ideas to get people physically active is to be launched by University College Cork, in association with Sport Ireland and with UNESCO patronage – with up to €10,000 going to the best concepts.
- Increase opportunities for engagement in sport and physical activity ensuring that it is accessible to everyone of any ability, age, race or socio-economic background.
- Inspire community-level engagement in sport and physical activity for all ages.
- Bring participants, volunteers and fans back to sport and physical activity.
- Use sport and physical activity as a means to achieve the UN Sustainable Development Goals in a practical way.
- Reimagine sport and physical activity (space and place; funding models) to make it more sustainable and resilient to shocks and change.
- Motivate children and youth to engage in sport and physical activity, that leads to life-long interest.
- Harness technology to radically change the way sport and physical activity are imagined.
- Integrate sport and physical activity into leisure and lifestyle activities e.g., cycling for transport, gardening for food security.
To join the challenge, go to gdc2021.devpost.com, register, start gathering your team, and enter this initiative to find innovative ideas to get people physically active.